FLEXIBLE ADVERTISING CHANNEL FOR HIGH CONVERSION APPLICATIONS
Ruby on Rails
Industry: Internet services
Revenue: $3.5 million
Employees: More than 5500
Duration: 9 months
Team Included: System architects, Senior software developers, QA engineers, Project manager, UI/UX Designer
For Clear Sight Aterise has created a new flexible advertising channel for the usage on mobile and web applications.
The huge user base is a natural market for advertising campaigns. The users are very important for the company, so, the client didn’t want to spoil their reputation by showing intrusive ad banners or non-selective information. The key characteristic for possible solution became the natural ad placement and overall non-intrusiveness.
The Company clearly saw a solution for this case: they wanted to deliver high-quality video ads from a selected elite vendors. These videos didn’t consume much traffic, fitted existing application or page design, and followed certain business rules selected as most appropriate for one specific placement slot.
Unfortunately, current limitations of video playback in mobile browsers make none of this possible. These are fundamental constraints, which cannot be worked out by conventional methods. Worst of all, the company’s users used a rich family of mobile devices, and end limitations and implementation quirks were different for each target platform multiplied by a range of possible browsers installed.
Knowing this, still, the Company decided to try and approach this challenge. They partnered with us to find a possible solution.
Highlighted challenges for this project were:
- Ad materials were selected and delivered via VAST-compliant server, where VAST 3.0 is a modern standard for describing and delivering video advertisements and companion information. The standard itself is complex and a big part of it is left for a sole discretion of an implementation.
- Unprecedented control over video and audio playback was required. Everything is controlled by a pluggable business rules, which must behave the same on each platform, disregarding its specifics
- The Player component should have a clear API to be easily pluggable into different contexts by the company’s developers.
- The Player had to support modification by a selected designer to choose best view for a specific application.
- The Player should be workable on a rich family of various mobile and desktop devices, delivering the same high quality UX.
After a technical research phase, a working solution was found and then successfully implemented, passing long round of user acceptance testing. We achieved it by applying advanced video and audio decoding techniques, and managing a mechanism of feature and device performance detection to confirm optimal performance in different environments.
As a result, a 2-component solution was proposed:
2. Configuration App for creating various design and behavior configurations, i.e. creating different players for particular applications.
Configuration App enabled users to configure all aspects of an ad player, and thanks to a rich mechanism of pluggable business rules, to create completely different video players, optimally matching specific placement details.